Wednesday, June 15, 2011

First appointment

Had my first appointment for starting birth control on Monday morning, and it was much easier than I expected it to be.

I was expecting to have to make a case for my idea, give the nurse a big spiel about why I wanted it. I was all prepared to tell her how moody I was all month, how bad the cramps had gotten, and overall how miserable I had been, even to the point of stretching the truth. But all that happened was she took my blood pressure, asked me a bunch of questions about my heart and circulatory health, and of course, my sexual history. Then she said she saw no reason at all that I couldn't start on the hormones.

She did want me to have an exam and some lab work to be sure there wasn't anything she was missing that would cause problems when I started the meds, and that appointment is this Friday. But it sounds like, barring anything going wrong in the exam, I'll start the birth control at the end of this week.

I'm less nervous now than I was on Monday. The hard part is over - telling the nurse what I wanted and why. Now, it's really just a matter of waiting. I'll keep you posted. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment