Monday, June 6, 2011

Is coming out/not coming out more complicated?

I'm clearly not good at keeping this blog up to date, and I'm really sorry about that. I thought I'd have more to say, but apparently not....
 
At any rate, OutLateButGreat recently posed this question on their YouTube channel: Is life more or less complicated now that you're out, and what are the advantages of being LGBTQ?
 
As to the first part of the question, I'm not really out yet. I've come out on this blog, but I don't really count that because I don't know who all has read it, if anyone. I also came out to my best friend, but she asked me point-blank if I was bi, and I wasn't about to lie to her. If hadn't come out to her because she asked, I still would have come out to her first, because she and I trust each other completely and tell each other everything.
 
So is my life complicated because I haven't told the people around me that I'm bi? Not really. Between working full-time and raising my autistic adolescent by myself, I don't have time for dating. I haven't dated much anyway. I can count my ex-boyfriends on one hand. In each relationship, he was someone I already knew because we hung out with the same people, and the friendship grew into something more. So as far as relationships go, I don't feel like I have anything to hide.
 
What about coming out as an androgyne? Again, I don't see a reason to. For most of my life, I wasn't really a "girly-girl." I was for a couple of years when I was 15-16 years old, but otherwise, I've been happy being kind of a tomboy. I don't wear makeup, fix up my hair, or wear lace or anything frilly. I'm better with computers than with feelings, even my own. When I'm in a bad mood, I want to beat something up rather than talk it out or cry. But all of this is just *me*, just parts of who I am as a person. It doesn't have to be because I'm an androgyne, even though it is.
 
Do I think it's an advantage or a privilege to be bi? I have long maintained that bisexual people love and appreciate people as people, rather than just as men or as women. I think bisexuality has the fairest, most balanced view of people. (Whether this is true or not, I don't really know, but that's my theory.) Not to mention, no one is off-limits just because they're male or female! Personally, I also like being different from the multitude. I've always liked being different in some way. Whether it be a distinctive piece of clothing, an unusual possession, or a life experience that no one around me has had, I like having something that is uniquely *me*.

I just looked at OutLateButGreat's channel, and there's a new question about long-distance relationships. They pose good questions that lead to good discussions, so look for more from me in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment